Sunday, March 13, 2011

Vegan sugar cookies

I normally make all my desserts from scratch but I discovered Cherrybrook Kitchen's sugar cookie mix (vegan) and have fallen in love (click here for the vegan recipe I used to use). Another Whole Foods win. I still make the icing myself as I prefer homemade icing. I have made these cookies for our Ayyam-i-Ha party and for a fast breaking potluck....both times people gave rave reviews.

Vegan icing:
1/4 cup melted vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
1/4 cup melted non hydrogenated shortening
1.5-2 cups of confections sugar (sifted)
0.75 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 cup soy milk

Beat together butter and shortening until completely blended. Sift in sugar. Beat for 2 minutes. Add milk and vanilla. Beat again. If you want thicker icing add more sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment