Thursday, January 12, 2012

Tastey Vegan Mac & Cheese

I was previously relying on Amys Kitchen's frozen vegan mac and cheese whenever I wanted to indulge. However, juzi (Swahili for the day before yesterday) I tried making it myself......this made all the difference.....the combo of bread crumbs and baked Daiya make for a delicious meal.

I used the recipe found on Daiya's website. Note: I did not use nutritional yeast.
 
Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 30 mins

8 ounces gluten-free or regular pasta, any shape
3 cups Daiya cheddar
3 tablespoons vegan butter
2 cups unsweetened (soy / rice) milk product
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (I omitted this)
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup gluten-free bread crumbs
¼ teaspoon paprika


Cook pasta according to package instructions.  Drain thoroughly when done.  Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare the cheese sauce while oven is warming. In a small pot melt the butter. When melted, add the pepper and nutritional yeast.

Stir in the milk or crème product. Add the cheddar, and cook over low/medium heat for about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.  Stir in the macaroni and mix together. Transfer to an 8x8 casserole dish. Top with the bread crumbs and paprika.  Bake for 15 minutes uncovered, or until the cheese is bubbling and top is starting to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment