Thursday, September 23, 2010

French Lentil Chili

Look! I do cook things other than dessert ;)

So far I really like this new cookbook I purchased called Vegan on the Cheap. Especially since I was tired of all those cookbooks with exotic ingredients with expensive price tags.

This "chili" is a great spicy new way to cook lentils. We were getting bored of the go-to curry lentil variety. Plus I've never tried french lentils before, I like them. They have a better texture for chili since they don't get mushy.

French Lentil Chili

1 tbs olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
1 carrot, minced
1 celery rib, minced
3 garlic cloves
1.5 cups French lentils
1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 tbs chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried thyme
0.5 tsp sugar (though, next time I make it I won't be including this)
0.25 tsp black pepper
3 cups water
1 tbs sherry vinegar (optional - I didn't use any either)

~ In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook until softened, about 7 mins
~ Add the lentils, tomatoes, chili powder, salt, cumin, thyme, sugar, pepper and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low
~ Cover and simmer until lentils are soft, about 50 minutes, adding more water if needed. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar, if using. Serve hot

No comments:

Post a Comment