Saturday, September 25, 2010

Gold Bar Cookies

If it's in the "Sweet delights" section of the cookbook but has oats and looks healthy can I eat it for breakfast? Yes, was the answer I gave myself yesterday. Especially after running 8.5 miles Friday morning.

I really like these cookies/bars. I will definitely be adding these to my list of future baking. Another winner from Vegan on the Cheap.

Gold Bar cookies
1.75 cup quick-cooking oats
1 c flour
1 c brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
0.5 cup vegan margarine, softened
0.25 cup creamy peanut butter (I used almond butter instead of peanut butter because that's all I had)
1 (8-ounce) jar peach or apricot preserves (I used strawberry)
0.5 cup golden raisins (I hate raisins in desserts, so I omitted)
0.5 cup ground unsalted roasted peanuts (Didn't include either)

1. Preheat oven to 375*F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan
2. In a food processor combine the oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Pulse to mix well. Add the margarine and peanut butter and pulse until crumbly.
2. Place about 3 cups of the crumb mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and press it evenly with your hands to form the cookie base. Reserve the remaining mixture.
4. Place the preserves in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Spread over the top of the cookie base to within 1/4 inch of the edge.
5. Add the raisins (if you like raisins in your desserts) and peanuts to the remaining crumb mixture and sprinkle it over the top, pressing it into the fruit.
6. Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes before cutting.

Variations: different fruit spreads, omitting all nuts products, adding vegan chocolate or shredded coconut to the topping mixture

No comments:

Post a Comment