Monday, August 22, 2011

ING New York City Marathon Long Training Run #2

I'm not running the NYC marathon but the timing for the Steamtown Marathon, which I am doing, corresponds nicely for NY Road Runner's training program.

The ING New York City Marathon Long Training Run #2 is a unscored/noncompetitive run. All racers select which group they want to run with based on pace time dividing into groups by half-minute intervals from 7:00 through 11:00+ minutes per mile. The run is broken down into 4 loops: 6 miles, 5 miles, 5 miles then 4 miles. You can decide how much you wish to run.

I joined the 9 minute mile group and ran 18 miles. It was a good experience. Sort of like pretending I was part of a running club for a day. The power of running in a pack was a great motivator as we ran up all of Central Park's hills. Plus it forced me to even out my pacing, I have the tendency to go anywhere from 7:30 min pace to 9:45 min depending on hills/mood/song on my ipod. Towards mile 16 I started feeling intense pain in my feet/arches. Plus going through the misting stations had left my socks wet, causing blisters. So I gave in at 18 miles :(

48 days left!

No comments:

Post a Comment