Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Housing Works: donating books

As a frequent user of NYC libraries, (I read 2-5 books a week so I'm there a lot) they were the first place I thought of when deciding to donate 10 books I had. The books had only been read once so were in excellent condition. However, when I went to the library books in hand I was turned away. Supposedly it is often cheaper for the library to buy new books then to process them....
"Donated books and other materials incur costs and additional time to process. Before they can be shelved with the larger collection, their condition must be evaluated, followed by cataloging, processing and transporting. These materials ultimately have a shorter shelf life. It is more cost-efficient to purchase new books and media, which are delivered "shelf-ready."
Luckily Brooklyn's library website has some recommended places that take book donations. And even luckier one of Housing Works' locations is a block away from the library I visit weekly. The thrift store is really cool, lots of stuff I could see myself buying... like a rocking chair I keep day dreaming of. Plus it's all for a good cause....."Housing Works is committed to ending the twin crises of AIDS and homelessness. We believe that all people have the right to a rich and empowering life. Since 1990, we have provided the highest quality services for homeless men, women, and children living with HIV and AIDS in New York City and beyond."

Happy donating!

No comments:

Post a Comment