Sunday, October 9, 2011

A marathon full of gratitude

"All praise, O my God, be to Thee Who art the Source of all glory and majesty, of greatness and honor, of sovereignty and dominion, of loftiness and grace, of awe and power." ~Bahá’u’lláh

I finished my first marathon 20 minutes faster than my goal time of 4 hours (3:40:37 = 8:25 pace). The whole time I was running and even post-race I couldn't stop thinking how many people I want to thank and how grateful I am. So here's my marathon list of thanks:

Thank you.....
1.) God, for giving me the health and endurance to run 26.2 miles. Also for getting me through some of the tougher points.....I must of said "Alláh-u-Abhá" at least a hundred times today.
2.)My loving husband for his constant support. Like waking up at 5:30 am today convinced that I would have an excellent race.
3.) All my friends, family and co-workers. Not only have they sent encouraging emails and facebook message but they've donated money to The Olive Branch for the Children to support my fundraising marathon. With your help I raised $1000!
4.) All the friendly and enthusiastic race volunteers and local Steamtowners. I really appreciated the cheering and oranges/bananas/water.
5.)  Steamtown race directors. The course was beautiful. My favorite part being the 3 miles of trail by the stream surrounded by the fall foliage.
6.)  St. Joseph's Children Center. I almost was overcome with emotion/tears towards mile 21 where tons of children from the center where cheering me on. I'm happy that most of my marathon fee will go to this center.
7.) Girl who tapped me on the shoulder. At mile 25 I was in a lot of pain, there was a slight hill so I figured, 'I'm pacing 20 minutes ahead of my goal, I'll just walk the last mile.' I only had time to walk for 5 seconds before a fellow racer tapped me on the shoulder as she ran by and said "Only 1 mile left. I know you can do this." She sounded so sure of me that I forced myself to run through my sore knee, aching left foot and throbbing left hamstring. 


So I'm sending out these many thanks into the cyberspace. It's been a great day.

PS I just realized I qualified for Boston Marathon 2012......I won't be running it because #1 it's sold out #2 Not sure I want to run another marathon #3 It happens in April right after my 19-day fast.....But still bragging rights for qualifying :)

No comments:

Post a Comment