Sunday, March 21, 2010

Growing Wheat Grass for Naw-Ruz


19 days ago I started growing wheat grass. The goal was to watch the grass grow in anticipation for the first day of spring/Naw-Ruz and to remind myself as I fasted during the day the quote by Baha'u'llah:
"Sow the seeds of My divine wisdom in the pure soil of thy heart, and water them with the water of certitude."

It was relatively easy to grow. I tried two ways: one worked incredibly fast and beautifully, the other was slow and ugly. I haven't eaten/juiced the wheat grass yet. I might just use it for decoration. However, I do love wheat grass shots and the nutritional benefits.

Method 1 (aka the best method): Soak the seeds in water, washing 2-3x daily for about 30 - 48 hours. Spread a thin layer of soil on a round bowl. Pour a thick layer of seeds on top of the soil. Cover them with something so that it stays dark. Water daily. Keep covered until green blades start to shoot up. Then uncover them. Keep watering them. This whole process takes about 14 days.

Method 2 (aka the sucky method): Soak the seeds in water, washing 2-3x daily for about 30 - 48 hours. Put several layers of paper towel in a round bowl. Pour a thick layer of seeds on top of the paper towel. Rinse the seeds daily. After they start growing green blades, water them daily. This whole process takes longer and the grasses are 1/2 the height of method 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment