Sunday, May 29, 2011

Black love, human love

There's been a lot of media attention this past year about "black beauty".....

--> The movie Good Hair about the obsession and million dollar industry around black women's hair (or more accurately, the dislike of our natural hair hence all the chemicals and Indian hair purchased)
--> Dark Girls: A documentary exploring the deep-seated biases and attitudes about skin color - particularly dark skinned women, outside of and within the Black American culture.
--> Writers crazily saying black women are not attractive re: Kanazawa's article in Psychology Today.

I must say, I felt like someone slapped me in the face when I read Kanazawa's article. Using "science" to explain why beautiful black women like myself, my mother and countless others are less beautiful. I might just use my "surplus" testosterone (the supposed reason black woman are less attractive) to kick his behind.

And I can't tell you the amount of times some guy has said to me "You're the prettiest dark skin woman I've ever met". Or before I put my hair in dreadlocks, how many people warned me I'd look less attractive for embracing my natural hair.

I am fortunate that my parents raised me in a house full of appreciation for black beauty, that my life is full of love, that my husband tells me I'm beautiful daily and whenever I might give pause to whether or not I'm beautiful some random guy on the street screams a reminder at me. I'm worried about people who don't have these things in their lives.....

In the Baha'i faith we view all humans as varying flowers in one garden. The diversity adds to the beauty of the garden:
"If the flowers of a garden were all of one color, the effect would be monotonous to the eye; but if the colors are variegated, it is most pleasing and wonderful. The difference in adornment of color and capacity of reflection among the flowers gives the garden its beauty and charm. Therefore, although we are of different individualities, different in ideas and of various fragrances, let us strive like flowers of the same divine garden to live together in harmony. Even though each soul has its own individual perfume and color, all are reflecting the same light, all contributing fragrance to the same breeze which blows through the garden, all continuing to grow in complete harmony and accord. Become as waves of one sea, trees of one forest, growing in the utmost love, agreement and unity." (‘Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 24)
Please be kind with your words:
"The tongue is a smoldering fire, and excess of speech a deadly poison. Material fire consumeth the body, whereas the fire of the tongue devoureth both heart and soul. The force of the former lasteth but for a time, whilst the effects of the latter endureth a century." Baha'u'llah

No comments:

Post a Comment