Thursday, February 25, 2010

I cheated today

I've been a vegan for 2 weeks. However, I must confess that I cheated today. And not with anything exciting like brie/cheese or non-vegan ice-cream. I had.....WHEY. I blame it on the loaf of non-vegan bread in my frig. I blame it on the fact that I had to eat breakfast on the go and thought a peanut butter and banana sandwich would be innocent enough. Sigh.

Anyone have a good recommendation for vegan bread? Or vegan (egg-less) pasta?

And for those of you who don't know the list of common non-vegan ingredients......
  • Casein (calcium caseinate): Milk protein, found in some soy cheeses
  • Gelatin: Protein obtained by boiling cattle/hog skins, tendons, ligaments or bones with water
  • Rennet: Made from calves' stomachs, also in some soy cheeses
  • Whey: Milk derivative, found in lots of things like the bread I had this morning
If you want to go super crazy click here for a massive list of non vegan ingredients.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, cutest picture ever!!!

    Also, do you know about seaweed based gelatin? Apparently they use it here in Japan and I've taken a cooking class where they used it once, but I'd love to know more about it if you know anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about it. But Sky did. He said he's seen some jello in the US that uses seaweed based gelatin.

    ReplyDelete