Saturday, February 20, 2010

Starter Vegan Shopping List

Vegan-ifying my kitchen (clockwise from top center): Soy Milk, Almond Milk, Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, Temph, Jungle's non-hydrogenated soft shortening and Ener-G Egg Replacer

Reviews/Comments:
  • My favorite soy milk is 'Silk Very Vanilla'. I actually like it better than milk. However it's a bit pricey. I'm trying out Whole Foods' 365 brand ($2 cheaper) to see if it's good.
  • Almond milk is lovely. It's like a skim version of soy milk.
  • Earth Balance is awesome. I can't believe it's vegan ;)
  • For all those bakers out there, please use NON hydrogenated shortening. It's shortening made from natural sources like palm fruit oil and sunflower oil. Jungle 's received great reviews for buttercream icing or pie crust making. FYI, trans fats from hydrogenated oils can increase the risk of coronary heart disease.
  • Enger-G egg replacer works like it should using combo of potato starch, tapioca flour, leavening etc.

Slant rant: I purchased sublingual (dissolves under the tongue) B12 vitamins last night in a hurry. However, when I got home I noticed the ingredients included milk. Booooo. I will be returning them tomorrow for some vegan B12.

No comments:

Post a Comment