Monday, April 5, 2010

Raw Vegan Food = so good it's confusing


This weekend I finally tried out 'Raw Soul', a raw vegan restaurant within walking distance from my apartment. They have difficult hours (4-9 pm Tu-F, 11-9 Sat, closed Su and Mo) so I kept missing them. Plus, I was a little weary about trying raw food. Raw food means nothing is cooked at higher than 115*F so the food doesn't lose it nutritional value. I went with my meat-eating maid of honor to discuss more wedding details.

I got the Barbeque Burger. I give it * * * * * (out of 5). The texture was like an uncooked bean burger, ie gummy/play-dough like, but the flavor was intensely good. I will definitely eat there again. Although for $12 for a burger, it won't be too often. The raw vegan burger is made from walnuts, carrots, sun-dried tomatoes, red onion, fresh cilantro, red bell pepper, topped with homemade barbeque sauce, onion, tomato and sprouts, served on flax seed bread.

My meat-eating friend got the Pilaf special. I give it * * * * stars. It was spicy goodness.

For dessert I got the raw vegan cheesecake to go (I wanted my fiancee to try it with me). It was so good I was confused and shocked..... No cheese, no eggs and not cooked? How could it taste so good. Both my fiancee and I give it * * * * * stars plus a bonus star.


348 145th Street
(between St. Nicholas and Edgecombe Ave)
NYC 10039
212-491-5859

No comments:

Post a Comment