Saturday, April 17, 2010

Vegan Brownies

Yup, you read correct vegan brownies. Hard to believe if you know that non-vegan brownies call for 3-4 eggs and 0.5-1 cup of butter. Who knew blended soft tofu could work so well in a dessert.

The texture is slightly off, a bit more chewy/cake like. But the taste is a * * * * (out of 5). I added some leftover vegan chocolate frosting from a previous cupcake making session just because I really love chocolate. Mmmm.

My future mother-in-law gave me this recipe.

Vegan Brownies
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 oz. tofu
2 tablespoons of canola oil
1.3 cups of maple syrup (I substituted 1 cup of cane sugar and 3 tablespoons of water for 1 cup of the maple syrup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa

Blend tofu, oil, maple syrup, vanilla and cocoa in a blender. Add mixture to dry ingredients. Mix. Bake for about 20 minutes at 350*F

No comments:

Post a Comment