If you aren't familiar with Quinoa you should be. If your friends aren't familiar with Quinoa you should spread the joy and information. It's a pseudo grain that is 12-18% protein (ie a vegan's friend). It also has a balanced set of essential amino acids and 37% of your daily Iron, see the nutritional stats here. I love the taste and texture of it. Whole food makes awesome burgers with them (unfortunately they have milk bi-products in them).
Ingredients: 1 cup quinoa, 2 tablespoons of curry powder, garlic, onion, any vegetables you want to add (like peas).
- Rinse the quinoa with water to remove the bitter coating
- Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil
- In a saucepan put the quinoa and 1.5 - 2 cups of water
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer
- Add the curry powder, sauteed onion and garlic as well as the veggies
- Simmer until the water is absorbed (about 15 minutes)
- Enjoy the protein packaged grain!