Friday, March 26, 2010

vegan scones

The lovely creators of 'Vegan cupcakes take over the world' also have a cookbook called 'Vegan with a Vengeance' which I happily own. I tried out their vegan scone recipe. I didn't have soy cream, so I substituted with soy milk like they suggested.

I give it * * * * * (out of 5). They taste so good still warm with raspberry fruit spread. I can't wait to try the suggested variations like fresh berry scones or chocolate chip scones. Mmmm.

I heart vegan baked goods.

Recipe (makes 16 scones):
3 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tbs baking powder, 1/4 cup sugar (plus extra to sprinkle on the top), 1/4 tsp salt, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup soy cream (or use rice/soy milk), 3/4 cup rice/soy milk plus 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  1. Preheat over 400*F, grease cookie sheet
  2. In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt
  3. Add oil, soy cream and rice milk
  4. Mix until just combined, the dough should be clumpy
  5. drop 1/4 cupfuls onto greased cookie sheet and pat the tops a little to round out
  6. Sprinkle sugar on top
  7. Bake 12 - 15 minutes or until slightly browned on the bottom and firm on the top

1 comment: